4 August 2010

Wasp Nest


This innocent looking bush outside my front porch holds a secret. You may just be able to make out a dark patch at the top just left of centre which is the entrance to a wasp nest. I first became aware of this when letting the cat out one night and the bush was making a "crackling" noise and listening closely there was also a bit of a hum. I had abit of a poke around but couldn't find what was making the noise.

As time went on it became apparent that wasps were entering and leaving the bush and the entrance had developed. I understand the workers will die out in the winter leaving just the Queen who will hibernate, possibly in this nest but maybe in a smaller purpose built cell. When the Queen emerges next spring she will start a new nest and this one will be left unoccupied. I look forward to getting a closer look at that time.



In the mean time I risked a quick photo of the entrance hole and you can make out the multicoloured wall of the nest with an obliging wasp to give scale and confirmation that it is a wasp nest! It is amazing what they have done and this was obviously their nest building that I could hear. They create the nest out of chewed wood and saliva creating a paper like material.





So far they haven't been any bother and hopefully they will remain that way as the nest is close to the house and I don't want to have to exterminate them.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff, I'd also consider myself lucky to be in such close proximity to that. You're right, it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete