26 April 2011

Shield Bugs

[CLICK ON ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE]


Gorse Shield Bugs at Snitterfield Bushes

Whenever I come across Gorse I always have to stop and have a look for the Gorse Shield Bug but I've never managed to find any until a recent visit to Snitterfield Bushes nature reserve. Even then I had a good look and found nothing until I noticed one right under my nose and then I noticed a few more.

I think you have to "get your eye in" so it is worth persisting if you don't immediately see one.



Gorse Shield Bug - Piezodorus lituratus



Gorse Shield Bug - Piezodorus lituratus

Mating


Gorse Shield Bug - Piezodorus lituratus

Looks like they would stick out like a sore thumb against the dried Gorse but the reality is quite different




Shield Bugs at Grafton Wood



Rhopalus subrufus

Not , strictly speaking , a shieldbug but very closely related.  I spotted this small insect on a Dandelion "Clock" seedhead.  Its not an insect I had seen before and I was engrossed in getting a picture and looking through the camera viewfinder when I noticed some movement at the top of the seedhead. and was surprised to see a Sloe Shield Bug deep within the Dandelion "Clock".








Rhopalus subrufus & Sloe Bug






Sloe Bugs

Then seemingly out of nowhere another one appeared and it looked like 2 shieldbugs trapped inside some magical cage....




Sloe Bugs
... but they weren't trapped and one of them broke free!





No comments:

Post a Comment