7 November 2010

Autumn at Oversley Wood

A few pictures showing the colours and Fruits of Autumn










Sloe - Fruit of the Blackthorn



On the forest floor




Bramble - Got its timing wrong




Holly - LOTS of berries this year. Harsh winter ahead?





Stinkhorn

This unmistakable "phallic" funghi exudes a fowl smell from the slime which it produces on its cap. This attracts flies which then carry away the spores helping it spread.

 I saw a number of these and disappointingly (?) I couldn't smell anything. Not sure if that is because I am suffering from a cold or that they were coming to the end of their lives and the smell had diminished. I was pleased that the first one at least showed some evidence of the slime and was still attracting flies.



Stinkhorn - Phallus Impudicus



Stinkhorn - Phallus Impudicus



Stinkhorn - Phallus Impudicus


1 comment:

  1. Great to see you've come across a Stinkhorn. I actually found one in the garden way back in July of all times! And what pin pointed it was the oppposite to your experience, it was the smell of something dead or rotting that allowed me to discover this rather unusual type of funghi....

    ReplyDelete